• American Citizen?
    Living or working abroad?

    All US citizens and Green Card holders are responsible for filing an annual tax return
    reporting worldwide income.

    No matter where you live and work, you probably have a filing requirement.

    There may be other filing requirements, too.

    Learn about Expat Tax Check if I need to file
  • Free Consultation

    We offer a free consultation via email.

    Find out if you need to file a U.S. Tax Return,
    a state return or report foreign bank and other financial accounts.

    Check Eligibility Contact us
  • Experience is Everything

    We have over 25 years of experience and will ensure your tax return
    is properly prepared by our IRS licensed tax professionals

  • Dedicated

    We match you with a dedicated, qualified tax professional
    who will understand your situation.
    Our tax preparers are Enrolled Agents, credentialed by the IRS.

  • Haven't filed your tax returns

    If you haven't filed your tax returns recently, don't panic.
    IRS Streamlined Procedures could make you IRS tax compliant without penalties.

    You need to file the last three years of tax returns and up to
    6 years of Foreign financial accounts with a Streamlined Certification prepared by us.

    IRS Streamlined Offshore Procedure

Expat Tax Services

We are a firm with over 25 years of experience that can help you file returns from almost anywhere in the world. Our in-depth knowledge of the US tax code with special emphasis on the rules affecting those living and working outside the US allows us to assist American expats, Green Card holders and others needing to file individual Income Tax Returns.

We also help clients become IRS compliant who haven't filed Income Tax Returns in the past or who are delinquent in filing. The Streamlined Program allows a taxpayer to file 3 years of tax returns, 6 years of financial reporting forms and a certification form. With this program, Penalties are generally waived.

Learn More about Streamlined Filing Procedures

Understanding US Expatriate and Non-Resident Taxes

Who Must File

The need to file is determined by Citizenship, Filing Status, Income and Age.
Living and working abroad does not mean you don’t have to file, even if your income is below the exclusion level. You must file in order to claim the exclusion.

The US considers everything received as taxable income. This includes base salary and all allowances and benefits, even if not received directly by you. In addition to the foreign earned income exclusion there may be other deductions and credits available to reduce taxable income or tax liability.

If you are not a US citizen or Green Card Holder, you may need to file as a Non-Resident to disclose income received from US sources during the year.

State Returns

Residency rules differ from state to state. While you may not physically reside in the state, you may still have a filing requirement.

Other Forms Needed

In preparing US Income Tax Returns, you need to be aware of:

  • Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, which may be used to offset some or all of your income.
  • Foreign taxes paid on income, both earned and unearned, like bank interest or rent payments.
  • Investments made in a foreign country.
  • Non-US bank and other financial accounts.

Determining Tax Liability

Many expats don’t owe any taxes to the IRS when able to claim the exclusions, deductions and credits.  But they must file; failure to do so may lead to penalties.

Payments and Penalties

Penalty – Failure to File

  • The failure-to-file penalty is calculated based on the time from the deadline of your tax return (including extensions) to the date you actually filed your tax return. The penalty is 5% of the tax liability for each month the tax return is late, up to a total maximum penalty of 25%.


Penalty – Failure to Pay

  • The failure-to-pay penalty is calculated based on the amount of tax you owe. The penalty is 0.5% for each month the tax is not paid in full. There is no maximum limit to the failure-to-pay penalty. The penalty is calculated from the original payment deadline (the original April 15th filing deadline) until the balance due is paid in full.



  • Interest is calculated based on your tax liability.  Interest is charged from the date the payment should have been made or the due date of your return.  Rates can vary during the year.  Any interest owed will be calculated at the time of preparation of your returns.

The Failure to File Penalty and the Failure to Pay Penalty as well as Interest may be levied on each tax return.

Helping Everyone Become Tax Compliant

Our employees have years of experience and many satisfied clients

We Love What We Do

Just like you, we are expats helping others become and remain tax compliant.


Common questions asked by our clients

Yes, if you are a U.S. citizen or a resident alien living and working outside the US., you need to file a U.S. tax return. You are taxed on world-wide income so all income must be reported. There are exclusions, deductions and credits available that my reduce your taxable income and your tax liability.

If you are a U.S. citizen or Green Card Holder, retired and living abroad while receiving Social Security, Railroad Benefits, Pension, Annuity or other retirement benefits, you could have a filing obligation.

April 15, 2019. You could be eligible to receive an automatic extension to 15 June as an expat. If so, no extension forms are required to be filed.

If you have signature authority or financial interest in any foreign financial account, including bank, investment or pension, you must file the form if the aggregate balance of all account exceeds $10,000 at any point during the calendar year. This applies to U.S. citizens, resident aliens, U.S. entities, corporations, partnerships, limited liability companies, and trusts.

Have questions? Let's get started! Share your questions or concerns and we'll respond quickly.

Our Easy Tax Preparation Process

  • Step One

    Contact us

    Contact us and we'll get started!

  • Step Two

    Free Consultation with a Dedicated Professional

    A dedicated, qualified professional will contact you for your free consultation to discuss your filing requirements and pricing.

  • Step Three

    Tax Questionnaire

    Complete the tax questionnaire and make a payment to start the tax preparation process.

  • Step Four

    Missing Information

    If any information is missing, we will contact you promptly requesting the additional details.

  • Step Five


    Review your tax return prepared by us. The return will be delivered to you via our secure portal which will be specifically assigned to you.

  • Step Six

    File Returns

    If you are happy with the tax return, send back the E-file consent and we will electronically transmit your return to the taxing authorities. Done!

Our clients around the globe are pleased with our service which only makes us want to work even harder.

Happy Customers

Contact Save Expat Tax