1040NR – Non-Resident Tax Return

A Non-Resident Tax Return (form 1040NR) is filed when income is received from US sources, but the recipient is not a US citizen, resident alien or has not met the substantial presence test.  For example, the income could be from an investment account, rental property or employment.  Only the US source income is reported on the form.

Need to File Form 1040NR

Even if you aren’t a US citizen or Green Card holder and you don’t meet the residency requirements, you may still need to file the 1040NR if you have income from any source in the US or have effectively connected US income, especially if there were withholding on the income.

Moving To or From the US

Based on residency tests, you may need to file the 1040NR or a Dual Status return.  We are here to assist you with the best filing position for the current year and also for future years.

Concerns and Quick Assistance on Non-Resident Tax Return

Difference between Resident and Non-Resident US tax returns

As a US citizen or Green Card holder, world-wide income must be reported on your tax return, regardless of where you live and work. Only US source earned/connected income is reported on a Non-Resident tax return.

Specific to Non-Resident Tax Returns

a. The residency requirements are not met (Substantial Presence Test).

b. Only US sourced or effectively connected income is reported.

c. No reporting of foreign income.

d. No filing requirement of Foreign Bank Account Reporting (FBAR) or other financial accounts

Failure to file Non-Resident forms

You may receive an IRS notice. Penalties can be levied.

Non-Resident Filing Extensions

If an extension is timely filed, the due date of the return is 15 October. Keep in mind this is an extension of time to file, not of time to pay.

Contact Us